Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cute Memory quilt from "the luckiest"...

I think memory quilts are such a smart fun way to remember a time in your life. I haven't really made one yet, but plan to one day. This one from "the absolute luckiest" is a really fun one that I know Laura will love forever! My college didn't offer Sororities/Frats, but I sure think it would have been fun!

and in the years after, with tears and with laughter...

... we'll always remember our dear Kappa days.


I told my dad my senior year of high school that I would absolutely not go through Rush at USC.


"I'm not going to PAY for my friends." I said.


Little did I know that some of the best friends of my life were waiting for me.


The memories that this quilt hold are worth every penny.



"This quilt was made using Fusi-Knit interfacing on the back of my top 25 t-shirts (that's right, I have at least 15 more that didn't make the cut and 4 that I ended up with two shirts for some reason!). The Fusi-Knit was SO much easier to use than iron-on interfacings I've used in the past! Kona White was used for the sashing, Kona Windsor for the back and a random garnet solid from Hobby Lobby for the binding. I also pieced some front chest designs in a column down the back of the quilt along with my Rush shirt that I recieved as part of the process of joining a sorority. It's pretty neat that we were the last class at the University of South Carolina to go through "Rush"- since then it has been referred to as "Recruitment" (hazing/negative vibes come from the word, I guess). That shirt displays a palmetto tree with signs pointing to all the different sororities on campus with the caption "No matter which way you go, you can't go wrong!"- a very true statement, if I do say so myself!  The finished size (about 85" x 85") and weight of the quilt were a happy surprise once it was finished and I have slept with it every night since I finished it - much to my husband's dismay!
I have to say I truly enjoyed making this quilt. In my opinion, it's pretty rare for a single quilt square to hold the date, location and theme of an (often hilarious or meaningful) event. Just seeing these designs brings back invaluable memories and I'm so happy that I finally cleared up the space these shirts were taking up in the closet in order to create something I can see every day."





Photobucket

9 comments:

Laura said...

I love this quilt. I have been asked to make one for a friend and I will have to hop over to read more about It.

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

I love t-shirt quilts and am planning on making a couple for Christmas. Its great to be able to preserve the memories like this!!

Hugs ~~ Suz

www.inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

I love t-shirt quilts and am planning on making a couple for Christmas. Its great to be able to preserve the memories like this!!

Hugs ~~ Suz

www.inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

Jean said...

Love this quilt. I have a bin full of t-shirts that some day will be turned into a memory quilt just like this. Thanks for sharing

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

I really like this one, the white sashing between all the shirts was a great idea. It helps it all flow and seem to go together. Thank you for sharing! :)

pinsandneedles said...

I also have stacks of t-shirts waiting to be made into memory quilts. Great job in completing yours!

stephmabry said...

What a great quilt! I'm sure that as my husband wears out all his forensics shirts, he'll want something similar - except instead of fun college shirts, I'll have lots of black t-shirts with bones on them. Yuck!? LOL!

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

This is such a crisp and great looking t shirt quilt. Well done.

Dawnmarie's Life said...

Thanks for sharing! I've been trying to figure out which interfacing is best to use for this type of quilt. I'll have to give the fusi knit a try!